Wednesday, March 6, 2013

No more lost boys

An interesting aspect of our culture that I feel is recently becoming more prominent is how much kids are in a hurry to grow up. I think that certain aspects of this are normal because it seems like kids are always wanting to grow up, but it is getting to the point where pre teens are like little adults.

When I was growing up I would put on my mom’s heels or try to fit into hand-me-downs that were too big for me because I got them from my friend who was a year older, I thought it was cool. I also remember trying to act like my babysitter because she was older than me and that was cool too.

But pre teens today have gone to an all-new extreme to try to act older. Not only do they dress like older kids, they also wear makeup earlier, have cell phones (even iPhones!), have Facebook and twitter accounts, and even talk like teenagers. I see this firsthand through my sister. She is only in eighth grade and already has a cell phone, wears makeup and heels, and steals my clothes. Eleven and twelve year olds are shopping for adult clothes at adult stores before they are even teens. My sister doesn’t have a Facebook but I know many of her friends do (they’ve added me as a friend). I see the way they talk online and what they post. They are swearing and commenting inappropriate things.

I don’t know why pre teens today are trying to grow up so fast, but it is definitely a noticeable part of our culture if you have younger siblings or know someone who does.

What do you think about pre teens acting older than they are? Do you think pre teen behavior has changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment